Cuban Sandwich on a Stick (No Bread)
By now you know that pickles are loved in this house (See my pickle pasta salad). And there’s no better sandwich with pickles than a Cuban sandwich. I won’t say this recipe for a Cuban sandwich on a stick is in anyway authentic, nor is it meant to be. This is a quick and easy appetizer that pays tribute to the delicious sandwich, without the bread and without the need for two hands to eat it!
This is a great finger food for parties and gatherings. I actually served these at our house warming party and there wasn’t a single one left! It’s also easy to make (assemble) so it’s a great appetizer to make with kids, just be sure they wash their hand first. Not kidding.
Ingredients for Cuban Sandwich on a Stick
1. Ham – I used a ham steak. You could have the deli cut some ham thick, about a half inch.
2. Dill pickles – whatever size or shape you want, but the mini whole pickles work the best.
3. Swiss cheese – have your deli cut a thick slice, about a half inch thick.
You’ll also need toothpicks to assemble your cuban sandwich on a stick.
Directions for Cuban Sandwich on a Stick
There are 2 main steps for this recipe. Didn’t I mention it was quick and easy?
1. Chop everything: cut the ham steak/thick piece from the deli into little half inch or so cubes. Do the same with the swiss cheese and the pickles.
2. Assemble your Cuban sandwich on a stick: put it on a tooth pick (order doesn’t really matter, but I did pickle, ham, cheese, which ended up helping them stand up on their own better for presentation).
You can pair this treat with a small dish of mustard. You can use whichever mustard you like best, but I think a spicy mustard tasted great with these.
If you try this recipe out or know of a variation, leave a comment bellow!